PEDs Side Effects General
Those of us who made the leap to take PEDs did so by understanding the risks. Or at least I did, and I hope you did too. For those who are considering their options, it’s not a decision to be made lightly or rashly. There’s a lot of information on potential side effects out there, and this article is an attempt to bring them all in one spot. This is a work in progress, please contribute if you know of side effects and know of supporting evidence.
For balance sake, my next post will be on the benefits of PEDs. While we talk often about their sides, there are many benefits to PEDs.
There are side effects common to most PEDs which are generally tied to imbalance in hormones or unnatural gains in lean body mass.
Side effects specific to steroids
- Shutdown. And with it small testicle size and reduced fertility.
- Hepatoxicity. While arguably overstated, cannot be ignored.
- High e2 causing abnormal emotional reactions. While I can find plenty of references to this in scholarly articles, I can’t actually find any studies on this. But trust me, it’s real.
- Male Pattern Baldness if you are genetically predisposed. Look at your mother's side – did the men keep their hair?
- Closing of growth plates for under age users of high doses
Side effects specific to SARMs
SARMs are, without exception, in research trials as of the time of this post. Minimum/Maximum Effective Doses and side effects are still being evaluated. While we have a good handle based on trial data and our own broscience, this is an emerging area with little data. YMMV. Suppression immediately comes to mind as likely side effect, as well as those listed as common to most PEDs.
Side effects specific to other PEDs
Common side effects specific to SERMs and AIs
- Hair thinning (Nolvadex, Arimidex)
- Nausea / Headaches (Nolvadex, Clomid, Arimidex)
- Fatigue (Nolvadex, Arimidex)
- Depression (Nolvadex, Arimidiex)
- Loss of sexual function/interest (Nolvadex)
- Blurred vision (Clomid)
More serious and less common side effects include seizure and stroke. https://www.rxlist.com/nolvadex-side-effects-drug-center.htm#overview; https://www.rxlist.com/clomid-side-effects-drug-center.htm; https://www.rxlist.com/arimidex-side-effects-drug-center.htm
Some side effects of PEDs may be more prevalent than others, and sides are highly dependent on your own physiology. It's the reason why some users can run a SARM only cycle and seemingly have little to no impact to their mood, yet another user can be feeling sluggish and moody within 4 weeks due to suppression. To that end, you won't ever really know the side effects until you run your first cycle, and even then there is often variability from cycle to cycle.
Edit 5/26/18: Dopamine sensitization may be a long term concern: https://www.reddit.com/r/PEDsR/comments/8md4te/dopamine_spikes_when_oncycle_and_desensitization/