Anadrol: A Few Oxymetholone Studies
Disclaimer - This topic is by no means comprehensive, feel free to add as many studies as you wish to share. I'm also not saying Anadrol is nice and safe. Just sharing data. If y'all enjoy the format, I could go on and do it in the future for other drugs such as nandrolone, oxandrolone, SARMs who knows.
I'm a huge fan of the old school (and modern) reckless science from the craziest Docs out there. Going to try to keep it as reader friendly as possible.
First of all a reminder - Anadrol’s indication in anemia caused by deficient RBC production:
The recommended daily dose of oxymetholone is 1 to 5 mg/kg body weight per day in children and adults with anemias caused by deficient red cell production. The usual effective dose is 1 to 2 mg/kg per day*, but higher doses may be required, and the dose should be individualized. The response may not be immediate, and therapy should be given a* minimum trial of 3 to 6 months*.*
Let’s see what the trials say:
Hengge UR, Baumann M, Maleba R, et al. Oxymetbolone promotes weight gain in patients with advanced HIV-1 infection
- 30 weeks, 150 mg/day
- Average weight gain at peak 8.2 (SD 6.2) kg (+ 14.5% of body weight at study entry) in the oxymetholone group (P < 0.001), and 6.1 (SD 4.6) kg (+10.9%) in the combination group (P < 0.005), compared with an average weight loss of 1.8 (SD 0.7) kg in the untreated controls.
- In the present study adverse events were infrequent and mild.
- Known side-effects of oxymetholone such as peliosis hepatis (Turani et al. 1983), hyperglucagonaemia (Williams et al. 1986), oedema or hypertension were not observed
Alexanian R, Nadell J, Alfrey C. Oxymetholone treatment for the anemia of Bone Marrow Failure
- Oxymetholone was initiated in a daily dose of 1.0 mg/kg for women and 5.0 mg/kg for men.
- The dose was increased in 50% increments at monthly intervals if side effects were not distressing (muscle cramps, virilization, nausea), but not to more than 100 mg/day for women or 450 mg/day for men.
- No patient received less than 50 mg/day of oxymetholone.
- Side effects from oxymetholone were frequent, but mild and reversible.
- Most patients complained of intermittent cramping muscle pain, but this never interfered with normal activities.
- Four women showed slight virilizing changes.
- Mild fluid retention developed in ten patients, four of whom had preexisting heart disease, but symptoms abated when the daily dose was reduced or an oral diuretic was added.
Schroeder et al. Effects of an oral androgen on muscle and metabolism in older, community-dwelling men.
- 12 weeks, 50 or 100 mg/day
- Total LBM increased significantly (P 0.001) within the 50 mg/day and 100 mg/day groups (3.3 ± 1.2 and 4.2 ± 2.4 kg, respectively)
- Fat mass decreased significantly (P 0.001) in the 50 mg/day and 100 mg/day (P 0.001) groups (2.6 ± 1.2 and 2.5 ± 1.6 kg, respectively)
- SHBG goes down ~55 ± 25 nmol/L and LH goes down 6 ui/L
- LDL goes up 41 ± 57 mg/dL, HDL goes down 23 ± 18 mg/dL
- Liver transaminases (AST and ALT) increased only in the 100 mg/day treatment group. However, these changes were modest, and subjects remained asymptomatic and had no hepatic enlargement or evidence of cholestasis
- no change in the texture of the prostate gland by digital examination or increase in serum PSA with treatment
Aramwit et al. Oxymetholone ameliorates insulin sensitivity in maintenance hemodialysis patients: a randomized controlled trial.
- 24 weeks, 100 mg/day
- HOMA index and body fat mass were significantly decreased in the treatment group compared to those in the control group
- fat free mass in the treatment group was higher than that in the control group
- Two patients in the treatment group experienced an elevation in serum liver enzymes (9.52%)
Supasyndh et al. Effect of Oral Anabolic Steroid on Muscle Strength and Muscle Growth in Hemodialysis Patients
- 24 weeks, 100 mg/day
- significantly greater increase in FFM (2.59 kg, 95% CI=1.65–3.53) and decrease in fat mass (FM; 1.32 kg, 95% CI=−2.54 to −0.10) in the oxymetholone-treated group compared with the placebo group.
- Testosterone goes from 604.9±165.5 ng/dL down to 247.2±207.8 ng/dL
- LH goes from 16.4±11.1 to 10.3±18.5 mIU/L
- 2 of 21 patients (9.52%) in the oxymetholone-treated group withdrew from the study because of adverse events. One subject withdrew because of undesired nonedematous weight gain. The other patient was removed from the study because of altered liver function.
- The serum liver function measurements all returned to normal within 1 month of discontinuing oxymetholone.
- Other side effects in the oxymetholone-treated patients included acne (52.4%), amenorrhea (23.8%), diminished menses (4.8%), alopecia (4.8%), hirsutism (4.8%), deepening voice (9.5%), and decreased serum HDL cholesterol (14.3%).
One Low Dose study for a change:
Tomoda H. Effect of oxymetholone on left ventricular dimensions in heart failure secondary to idiopathic dilated Cardiomyopathy or to Mitral or Aortic Regurgitation
- 3 months, 6.7 mg/day average
- improvements in Left Ventricular dimensions without diastolic dysfunction
- LV mass decreased with anabolic steroid administration in the present study, in contrast to the result obtained using growth hormone
- One of the possible explanations may be the low dosage of the anabolic steroid in this study
When stuff goes wrong:
McDonald, E. C. Peliosis Hepatis Associated With Administration of Oxymetholone.
- The patient received 30 mg per day, orally, and was followed up closely to detect any rise in his hematocrit level, which had dropped to 21%. Therapy was continued at this dosage for 3.5 months
- The hepatomegaly and mildly elevated serum bilirubin level were thought to be due to involvement of the liver by Hodgkin's disease.
Nakao et al. Multiple hepatic adenomas caused by long-term administration of androgenic steroids for aplastic anemia in association with familial adenomatous polyposis.
- After being diagnosed with aplastic anemia at 14 years of age, she had been treated with oxymetholone (30 mg/day) FOR 6 YEARS LIKE SIX FUKKN YEARS WHAT IN THE ABSOLUTE FKK.(My own input here just in case)
- Laboratory evaluation revealed normal liver function.
- Ultrasonography (US) and computed tomography (CT) demonstrated multiple liver lesions
Reeves RD, Morris MD, Barbour GL. Hyperlipidemia due to oxymetholone therapy: Occurrence in a long-term hemodialysis patient
- 1 patient, 100mg per day, 5.5 weeks
- Marked hypertriglyceridemia and hypercholesterolemia accompanied by angina and a left cerebral thrombosis
- After androgen therapy was discontinued, over a three-month period, plasma lipid values progressively decreased below pretreatment values, and clinical symptoms disappeared.